Prazivet belongs to a group of medicines known as deworming agents (dewormers).
Prazivet Plus can be used to treat several kinds of the most common intestinal parasites in dogs, including:
1 tablet per 10 kg(22lb) bodyweight. The tablets can be given directly to the dog or disguised in food. No starvation is needed before or after treatment.
Puppies and Small Dogs:
- 1/2 - 2 kg bodyweight = 0.25tablet
- 2 - 5 kg bodyweight = 0.5tablet
- 6 -10 kg bodyweight = 1 tablet
- 11-15 kg bodyweight = 1.5 tablets
- 16-20 kg bodyweight = 2 tablets
- 21-25 kg bodyweight = 2.5 tablets
- 26-30 kg bodyweight = 3 tablets
- 31-35 kg bodyweight = 3.5 tablets
- 36-40 kg bodyweight = 4 tablets
Puppies should be treated at 2 weeks of age and every 2 weeks until 12 weeks of age. Thereafter they should be treated at 3 month intervals. It is advisable to treat the bitch at the same time as the puppies.
For routine control adult dogs should be treated every 3 month. In the event of heavy roundworm infestation a repeat dose should be given after 14 days.
Drug Class and Mechanism
Prazivet Plus Tablets contain three active ingredients having different modes of action and spectra of activity.
Praziquantel is active against cestodes (tapeworms). Praziquantel is absorbed, metabolized in the liver and excreted in the bile. Upon entering the digestive tract from the bile, cestocidal activity is exhibited.
1. Following exposure to praziquantel, the tapeworm loses its ability to resist digestion by the mammalian host. Because of this, whole tapeworms, including the scolices, are very rarely passed after administration of praziquantel.
In many instances only disintegrated and partially digested pieces of tapeworms will be seen in the stool. The majority of tapeworms are digested and are not found in the feces. Pyrantel pamoate is active against hookworms and ascarids. Pyrantel pamoate acts on the cholinergic receptors of the nematode resulting in spastic paralysis. Peristaltic action of the intestinal tract then eliminates the parasite.
2. Febantel is active against nematode parasites including whipworms. Febantel is rapidly absorbed and metabolized in the animal. Available information suggests that the parasite's energy metabolism is blocked, leading to energy exchange breakdown and inhibited glucose uptake. Laboratory efficacy and clinical studies conducted with Prazivet Plus Tablets demonstrate that each of the three active ingredients act independently without interference. The combined tablet formulation provides a wide spectrum of activity against the indicated species of intestinal helminths.
If you miss a dose of Prazivet Plus, skip the missed dose and go back to the regular dosing schedule. Do not let your animal take 2 doses at once.
Store Prazivet Plus at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Prazivet Plus out of the reach of children and away from pets.